KIDS ROCKWELL Art Lab: What’s In Your World?
KIDS ROCKWELL Art Lab is our interactive family studio, located just around the corner from the Museum at 36 E. Market St. in Corning.
The Art Lab is open for drop-in visitation! Your admission ticket accesses both Rockwell locations. We are continuing to practice COVID safety measures. Read on to know what to expect before you go.
Local artists Tony Moretti and Gwen Quigley have transformed the Art Lab into a magical environment for the summer of 2021! This special exhibition, What’s in Your World, celebrates everything that makes our region unique, now through Labor Day weekend. Unplug with hands-on projects, experiment with natural materials and leave your mark with community artworks.
- Located at 36 E. Market Street, Corning, NY, just around the corner from the Museum
- In order to continue to observe social distancing as best we can, the number of visitors allowed in the space at one time will be limited. You may be asked to start your visit at The Rockwell Museum. Our Guest Services staff will assist you with directions and suggestions on how to spend your time at the Museum while you wait.
- Your Art Lab ticket is also your ticket for The Rockwell Museum. Tickets are valid for two consecutive days.
- Masks are still required at all times for unvaccinated visitors over age 2. Masks are available at no cost for any visitor who needs one. (We have adult and child sizes!) Masks are optional for vaccinated visitors.
- Museum staff will continue to wear masks to help protect our young guests!
- Our Snack Station will be temporarily removed from the Art Lab for the summer. We ask that you please enjoy snacks outside.
- The Art Lab is not currently available for birthday parties
All activities at the Art Lab are inspired by the art and architecture of The Rockwell Museum – that means every time you visit there’s something new to see and do!
This year, you’ll find activities that connect with our 2021 theme, Environments Examined. You can expect to find projects that connect to exciting special exhibitions and Rockwell Museum collections.
Hands-On Activities you’ll find in What’s in Your World include:
- Community Mosaic Project and Mosaic Suncatchers – Use blue tissue paper to create a piece of the Finger Lakes, and a second one to hang up in your own window at home.
- Topographic Map – Explore the geography of the region, and create and add your own dwellings, animals, trees, boats and more!
- Felt Tree – Give felt critters a home by sticking them onto the felt tree. Can you tell a story with your arrangement?
- Petroglyph Graffiti – Use custom rubber stamps to add to a graffiti wall inside the space, plus create a version to take home, too.
- Natural Shelter – Step back through time into a natural shelter, made from the types of materials that would have housed humans hundreds of years ago in our region.
Custom-built furniture for the KIDS ROCKWELL Art Lab generously provided by LeChase Construction Services, LLC.