The Rockwell is now the Upstate NY conduit to the Smithsonian and its many resources. In turn, Smithsonian patrons gain greater access to The Rockwell’s collections and programs.This new status makes The Rockwell Museum one of just over 200 Smithsonian Affiliates nationwide (less than 1% of all museums) and, at present, the only such organization in Upstate NY.
“By joining forces we hope to bring complimentary collections from the Smithsonian to the local community, develop innovative practices for supporting teachers and reaching students, and shed greater light on the sources of human creativity. There is so much that we can learn from each other,” said Harold A. Closter, Director of Smithsonian Affiliations.
1. Rockwell Members can now upgrade to join the Smithsonian Affiliate Membership Program, which includes a subscription to Smithsonian magazine, free admission to Smithsonian’s Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum in New York, NY, and many additional discounts on Smithsonian visits, such as IMAX tickets, cafe dining, and special recordings.
2. The Rockwell Museum is resource to Smithsonian Museums as well as to the museums of Smithsonian Affiliate network. We share our exhibits and collections, collaborate on important research projects, and develop innovative educational strategies at local and national levels. In fact, an artwork from The Rockwell’s collection is already part of a Smithsonian exhibition.
3. The Rockwell will be able to borrow artifacts and artworks from the Smithsonian collection, as well as access Smithsonian story-tellers, artists, speakers and performers. We are currently planning many wonderful things for the years to come.
4. The Rockwell’s staff will have access to additional resources, national conferences, and professional development, which means we’ll be able to serve the Corning community even better.
5. The Smithsonian does not manage or provide any funding to The Rockwell. We rely on generous funders, partners, members, and donors like you. Your support for The Rockwell means that we can further arts education in the area and offer more innovative experiences, providing dynamic programs for hundreds of individuals of all ages. Your support helps bring tens of thousands of visitors through our doors and into our beautifully restored historical building.
There are over 200 Smithsonian Affiliate organizations in more than 45 states, Puerto Rico, and Panama, all working together to preserve our heritage, expand knowledge, and inspire learning. Affiliates are of all types: science centers, art museums, historical societies, universities, children’s museums, archives and libraries, and aquaria. We are proud to join them – we hope to see you soon!
Explore our permanent collection or a special exhibition on a guided group tour led by one of our friendly and experienced Museum Docents, or on your own with a self-guided group tour.Make Your Group Reservation