Starting April 16, 50 museums from all across the globe will participate in Museum Dance Off, an annual video competition that celebrates art, camaraderie and just plain, silly fun! The prize? A trophy and bragging rights. The Rockwell Museum is excited to enter this annual competition for the first time.
Update 4.25.18: The Rockwell wins round 1!
Thanks to over 13,000 votes by our fans and community, The Rockwell moves on to Round 2. Voting will take place May 3, 2018 for the Eastern US Semi-final round.
Update 5.3.18: It was fun while it lasted!
Despite amazing efforts by all our fans, Round 2 was taken by the Science Museum of Virginia in Richmond, Virginia. Their amazing video included not only clever Miss Frizzle-inspired graphics but a super clever song parody. Congratulations on your East Coast win!
Update 5.15.18: A surprising turn of events!
We are surprised and honored to accept the “Community Award.” Selected by a panel of judges, “this award goes to the museum that not only produced an outstanding dance-off video, but who best embodies the comradery, spirit, and collegiality of Museum Dance Off.” We could not be more proud to earn this recognition – thanks for a wild ride! Learn more about all the winners
The video features the music of an artist named Rockwell (ft. Michael Jackson), a one-hit-wonder whose song “Somebody’s Watching Me” inspired the theme of the video – The Rockwell’s security guard (Mark Robinson, as himself) watches disapprovingly over the security cameras as museum staff start to bust a move in the galleries.
Curator of Collections and Exhibitions, Kirsty Buchanan, acted as creative director and choreographer for The Rockwell’s submission. “Museum Dance Off was a very fun way for The Rockwell staff to get creative and let loose – and a much-needed morale booster in this seemingly endless winter.”
How it works:
- Museums and their videos are grouped in brackets by region, competing on weekdays starting April 16, 2018
- The public can vote for their favorite video, and winners move on to the next round. The Museum Dance Off Thunderdome (yes, it’s really called that) will take place in May
- The public can vote multiple times, starting at 8 a.m. EST until 7:59 am the next day
- Though the Thunderdome Winner is selected in the final round by popular public vote, there are several judges choice awards up for grabs in categories that include: Best Choreography, Best Mission Narrative, Best Community Engagement, and more!
- Show your support for The Rockwell Museum – join the conversation online using #MDO5 and #VoteRockwell
View all videos and follow along with the competition at whenyouworkatamuseum.com