KIDS ROCKWELL Summer Explorers
Drop-in activities encourage young summer art explorers to engage with art!
Included with Museum admission | No registration required
Offered Wednesday and Thursdays, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (dates below), Summer 2022
Suggested ages 5 to 12
Explore the Museum galleries and engage with art!
This self-guided summer program is designed for families and children ages 5 – 12. Drop-in anytime to participate in art-making workshops, games and activities all connected to weekly themes about what sparks our imagination and inspires us to create art.
The Summer Explorers program includes…
- Spy, Think, Ponder art card sets highlight works of art in The Rockwell’s collection, tied to the weekly theme. The art cards incorporate youth-friendly language and fun prompts to engage your child’s imagination. Families will be exposed to using Visual Thinking Strategies in their museum experience by looking, making observations, thinking about what they see and wondering more about the topics presented.
- Art Hunts are a great way to search the Museum galleries and find details in the artwork.
- Simple gallery games and activities will stimulate self-guided exploration with loved ones to foster art appreciation as well as excitement to discover artwork on view.
- Art-making workshops with Rockwell Educators and guest artists will be available to family visitors in our Education Center. The projects will encourage families to experiment with different media to make their own art inspired by the art on view.
Visit throughout Summer 2022 to create art and explore the Museum galleries. New themes, projects, and activities will be offered each week:
- July 6 & 7 | Colors of the Rainbow
Project: Geometric Printmaking
- July 13 & 14 | Clay Play
Project: Fine Feathered Clay Friends
- July 20 & 21 | Family Art Traditions
Project: Artsy Selfie Studio
- July 27 & 28 | Music and Movement
Project: Two-in-One Instruments
- August 3 & 4 | Media Madness
Project: Art Buffet of Inspiration
Summer Explorers Events
The Rockwell Museum’s programs are made possible by the New York State Council on the Arts with support from the office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature.