Employment at The Rockwell
The Rockwell Museum maintains a unique work environment in the beautifully restored Old City Hall Building in downtown Corning in New York’s Finger Lakes Region. Nestled in scenic upstate New York, Corning is a vibrant community with an attractive, historical downtown and home to Corning Incorporated—one of the world’s leading innovators in glass and materials science and world-renowned Corning Museum of Glass.
Our small staff is a committed, creative, energetic team that continually embraces diversity of thought and backgrounds. We are passionate about advancing our work and our commitment to the community. We offer full- and part-time positions with excellent benefits. The Rockwell Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Excellence—We are leaders in all we do.
- Innovation and Creativity—We design dynamic and imaginative programs.
- Our People—Through the full involvement of our people, we achieve excellence, innovation, and creativity.
Status: M&P, Full-Time
Department: Finance and Operations
Reports to: Director of Finance and Operations
Provides executive-level administrative support to the Director of Finance and Operations (Director) of The Rockwell Museum (Museum) in all aspects of Museum accounting procedures and daily operations. Responsible for coordinating and processing a variety of accounting activities; monitors accounting control procedures to ensure compliance. Supports special departmental projects and preparation of month-end, quarterly and annual reports including account reconciliations. Responsible for processing accounts payable, assists with the month-end financial close, account reconciliations including fund development, audit preparation, capital analysis and other general financial work.
- Serves as account administrator for the Museum’s purchasing programs with select vendors.
- Performs general accounting by preparing month-end financial close journals, period-end account analysis, and reconciliations with a medium level of complexity.
- Assists with prioritizing, planning and tracking costs on capital projects. Assists with identifying and keeping track of Museum capital assets.
- Run GL reports for departments as requested.
- Prepares month-end journal entries.
- Prepares and distributes closing reports as needed.
- Supports with year-end ledger accounting and reporting for audit.
- Performs account receivable function and posting of daily cash receipts.
- Enters revenues by category from the POS system into the daily revenue spreadsheet and reconciles the tender section with the corresponding revenue section. Creates the month-end sales journal from the daily revenue spreadsheet.
- Tracks redeemed vouchers from accommodation partners and prepares client invoices each month. Responsible for applying receipts to outstanding invoices.
- Performs accounts payable-related activities such as ensuring proper W-9 forms from vendors, processing invoices, check requests and expense reports, identifying vendor invoices to be paid on a weekly basis, obtaining appropriate check approval and preparing 1099 reporting.
- Reviews contract labor invoices for hours worked, and rates charged and validates data with department managers. Calculates and assigns cost to each department using these services.
- Processes and deposits all checks via Remote Deposit and processes wires transfer for invoice payments; ensure all are completed in a timely and secure manner.
- Ensures all invoices and check requests have proper approval and accounting codes.
- Assists with preparation for the Museum’s annual external audit.
- Coordinates reconciliation of fund development revenues between fund development department reports and deposits from the point-of-sale system.
- Assists with development reporting and accounting requirements.
- Supports and amplifies the Museum’s commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Assists with budgeting, reporting, and forecasting as needed.
- Suggests process improvements in the finance and operations areas of the Museum.
- Serves as subject matter expert in Patron Manager for the finance function. Responsible for identifying existing reports that can be used for the finance function as well as creating new reports as needed. Attends training to improve or maintain proficiency in using this tool.
- Maintains and updates all accounting forms annually or as needed.
- Assists with writing, maintaining and implementing financial operating procedures.
- Assists with documenting, implementing and reviewing accounting policies and procedures; ensures staff compliance.
- Actively participates in Finance and Operations team meetings and services as a member of Museum teams and work groups, as appropriate.
- Respect and exemplify the values of The Rockwell Museum in all interactions with colleagues, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Ability to represent the Museum in a professional manner.
- Adhere to all prescribed organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Appreciate cultural environments; interest in the arts and museums.
- Ability to professionally handle confidential material and associated issues; maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; strong collaboration skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision while consistently communicating status.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; with coursework in business or finance or experience in general accounting, bookkeeping, accounts payable.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in accounting
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite and MS Teams; database management and other relevant software programs.
- Ability to learn Patron Manager CRM software.
- Strong interpersonal skills; works effectively and professionally with people at all levels, including external stakeholders.
- Meets deadlines and can handle multiple projects simultaneously and under the pressure of deadlines.
- Highly accurate, detail-oriented and organized; focuses on follow-up.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work the hours necessary to fulfill job requirements; flexibility in hours necessary.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.