Employment at The Rockwell
The Rockwell Museum maintains a unique work environment in the beautifully restored Old City Hall Building in downtown Corning in New York’s Finger Lakes Region. Nestled in scenic upstate New York, Corning is a vibrant community with an attractive, historical downtown and home to Corning Incorporated—one of the world’s leading innovators in glass and materials science and world-renowned Corning Museum of Glass.
Our small staff is a committed, creative, energetic team that continually embraces diversity of thought and backgrounds. We are passionate about advancing our work and our commitment to the community. We offer full- and part-time positions with excellent benefits. The Rockwell Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Excellence—We are leaders in all we do.
- Innovation and Creativity—We design dynamic and imaginative programs.
- Our People—Through the full involvement of our people, we achieve excellence, innovation, and creativity.
Interpretation and Public Engagement Educator
Status: M&P Full Time
Reports to: Director of Education
- Plans, develops and executes the Kids Rockwell Art Lab and Art Corner activities.
- Develops and implements gallery activities and interactives to connect to program, exhibition and collection themes.
- Works with the Curator of Collections and Exhibitions on interpretative materials for the permanent collection galleries and special exhibitions.
- Researches and develops new directions in connecting with visitors including but not limited to audio guides, art making opportunities, written guides for adults, guides for visually challenged adults and others.
- Works with the Director of Education on implementation of the Meet Me at the Museum program for people with Alzheimer’s and their caregivers.
- Works with Corning Community College on theater program, independent study, gallery interpreter program, etc.
- Works with the Programs and Events Manager to align public engagement initiatives across the organization.
- Assists Education Team with all Education Department activities as needed.
- Conducts tours of the Museum’s collection as needed.
- Conducts adult tour art activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or minor in art history, museum studies or a related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum three years’ experience working in a museum setting and developing educational activities and programming.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills; ability to speak professionally in front of varied audiences.
- Excellent computer skills, including Word and Excel and the ability to learn new software programs as needed.
- Knowledge of the collection or ability to learn about it.
- Ability to maintain and foster cooperative relationships with professionals and organizations.
- A high energy level and ability to manage multiple activities and responsibilities.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated experience handling program details and managing deadlines.
- Ability to work in a collaborative fast paced environment.
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings when needed.
Interested candidates please submit a resume, cover letter and a writing sample demonstrating your experience with art interpretation to email@example.com
Guest Services Associate (The Rockwell Museum Store and Admissions)
Status: Part- to Full-Time, Contract Position
Reports to: Retail and Guest Services Manager
- Greets visitors to the museum and gives all guests prompt and courteous service.
- Sells admission to The Rockwell Museum, combination tickets to CMoG, distributes surveys and tracks demographics.
- Answers questions about the art, history and mission of The Rockwell, as well as the local region.
- Receives membership applications and provides information to prospective members according to procedure.
- Records retail sales accurately and efficiently.
- Restocks and merchandises products and performs cycle counts of inventory.
- Maintains a clean and organized appearance in the museum store, admissions desk, and storage areas.
- Assists visitors with product selection and recommends products based on customer need.
- Maintains working knowledge of products relating to The Rockwell Museum collection and retail operation.
- Outgoing personality; must genuinely enjoy people.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to accept direction willingly and to follow through with delegated tasks.
- Ability to stand for 10 hours and lift boxes if needed.
- Knowledge of the region desired (or ability to learn quickly).
- Patience, especially for people of other cultures.
- Ability to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Strong knowledge of computers and technology.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new tasks or situations quickly and cooperatively.
- Ability to report for scheduled shifts on-time and be dressed appropriately.
- This position is contracted through Kelly Services. Guest Services Associates will not be employed directly through The Rockwell Museum.
- Associates are generally scheduled a minimum of 8 hours per week and up to 40 hours per week.
- Hours of operation are 9am-5pm, with occasional evening work for events. From Memorial Day through Labor Day the museum is open 9am-8pm.
- Dress code is business casual and must be followed.
- Vacations cannot be granted during the summer months (although we will make an effort to grant individual requests for special situations).
- Orientation and training will be provided.
- Associates are responsible for finding coverage and keeping their schedule.
Interested candidates should direct their resume and letter of interest to Rita Reed, Retail and Guest Services Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org