Employment at The Rockwell
The Rockwell Museum maintains a unique work environment in the beautifully restored Old City Hall Building in downtown Corning in New York’s Finger Lakes Region. Nestled in scenic upstate New York, Corning is a vibrant community with an attractive, historical downtown and home to Corning Incorporated—one of the world’s leading innovators in glass and materials science and world-renowned Corning Museum of Glass.
Our small staff is a committed, creative, energetic team that continually embraces diversity of thought and backgrounds. We are passionate about advancing our work and our commitment to the community. We offer full- and part-time positions with excellent benefits. The Rockwell Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Excellence—We are leaders in all we do.
- Innovation and Creativity—We design dynamic and imaginative programs.
- Our People—Through the full involvement of our people, we achieve excellence, innovation, and creativity.
Retail and Guest Services Assistant Manager
Department: Finance and Operations
Salary: $52 – 57K
The Rockwell Museum, a Smithsonian Affiliate, is seeking an experienced and outstanding Retail and Guest Service Assistant Manager. The Retail and Guest Services Manager manages the Guest Service Staff with a focus on the day-to-day operations of the museum. Do you have retail experience with a head for business? If you do, we want to speak with you.
The ideal candidate has:
- demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team.
- excellent organizational and time management skills.
- excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- the flexibility and ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- excellent attention to detail with the ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- the ability to be proactive, and use independent judgment and initiative.
- proficiency in all aspects of Microsoft Office and Point of Sale.
Supports the Retail and Guest Services Manager by performing sales trends analysis and assisting with buying strategies. Prepares purchase orders, controls inventory processing, performs cycle counting and year-end inventory counts and provides inventory reporting. Coordinates cash, banking and other financially related procedures with the Guest Services department. Assists with ensuring updated, accurate and complete policies and procedures and records retention adherence. Supervises contracted guest services staff.
- Assists Retail and Guest Services Manager with adhering to the buying plan for purchasing, markdowns and cycle counting.
- Assists in developing strategies to meet sales and purchasing goals while maintaining appropriate sales, margin and budget.
- Assists with researching new products and developing merchandise lines that will reflect the mission of the Museum.
- Attends gift shows and/or Museum Store Association conferences if necessary to find new vendors and gain further knowledge of trends in the field.
- Assists with determining adequate stock levels and a balanced assortment of merchandise.
- Maintains merchandise displays and collaborates with Retail and Guest Services Manager with floor moves.
- Buys merchandise and supplies as needed by preparing purchase orders. Obtains W-9 information from vendors. Receives inventory in POS, submits invoice and receiver for payment and prepares and applies retail tags for all merchandise as received. Ensures that there is accurate labeling on all merchandise in the shop.
- Compiles and creates inventory reports to track retail sales, markups, markdowns and inventory orders and receipts to provide monthly input for the sales and inventory forecast and open-to-buy analysis.
- Develops, documents, maintains and monitors inventory processes to ensure the integrity of inventory records.
- Performs cycle counts to maintain the accuracy/integrity of inventory levels in the POS system for onsite and offsite storage locations.
- Responsible for performing an annual physical inventory of store merchandise to include all offsite locations.
- Identifies, researches the root cause and resolves inventory adjustments from cycle counting, inventory transfer discrepancies, damaged merchandise, slow-moving or excess inventory and discusses results with the Director of Finance and Operations. Records these adjustments in POS.
- Oversees markdowns for all merchandise that are considered slow-moving under the direction of the Retail and Guest Services Manager.
- Assists with developing components of the annual admissions and retail budgets as needed. Assists with executing the budget plan.
- Trains and assists Guest Services staff with POS system processes, procedures and customer service.
- Coordinates CRM and ticketing procedures.
- Maintains operating cash to open and close all cash drawers in Guest Services.
- Coordinates the end-of-day cash procedures with Guest Services staff and ensures all transactions are settled using the Museum’s cash settlement system.
- Oversees and coordinates daily banking and ensures that deposits are transported to the bank on a timely basis.
- Collaborates with Guest Services Staff to facilitate POS reporting requirements and implements new tracking as required.
- Retains financial records as required to meet IRS and audit requirements.
- Enters and maintains data in the POS Manager database to ensure error-free and accurate reporting.
- Troubleshoots POS system issues as needed, including outside of normal working hours.
- Oversees combination ticket ordering and receiving from the Corning Museum of Glass (CMoG). Tracks and reports combination ticket sales to CMoG on a monthly basis.
- Supports and amplifies the Museum’s commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Schedules and supervises contracted Guest Services staff and is responsible for the hiring and training of new Guest Services employees.
- Assists with writing and maintaining financial operating procedures and records retention adherence.
- Assists on the sales floor in the Museum store and in Guest Services when needed especially during high visitor volume and for lunch coverage.
- Provides mid-month status updates to staff on admissions and retail stats.
- Summarizes month-end retail results and obtains explanations for variances with the budget. Assists the Retail and Guest Services Manager in presenting these results at staff meetings.
- Assists in the protection and control of all Museum assets against damage and theft.
- Adheres to all Museum policies and procedures including safety, housekeeping, customer services, accounting and information security.
- Serves as back-up in the absence of the Retail and Guest Services Manager for retail and guest services support.
- Respect and exemplify the values of The Rockwell Museum in all interactions with colleagues, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Ability to represent the Museum in a professional manner.
- Adhere to all prescribed organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Appreciate cultural environments; interest in the arts and museums.
- Ability to work with people from a variety of cultures; ability to maintain an appropriate voice for diverse audiences.
- Ability to handle the stress of high customer demands in a hospitality environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; strong collaboration skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Associate’s degree in business or related field preferred.
- Minimum two years experience working with the public in a sales or retail position.
- Proficient at Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint; experience with a Point of Sale System; and ability to learn new software quickly including the ability to run, understand and analyze computer reports.
- Analytical skills; draws meaningful conclusions and recommendations based on qualitative and quantitative data.
- Ability to be proactive, use independent judgment and initiative.
- Ability to analyze merchandise flow and make decisions that will resolve discrepancies.
- Ability to correctly analyze and understand sales reports.
- Ability to be bonded, if necessary.
- Strong interpersonal skills; works effectively and professionally with people at all levels, including external stakeholders.
- Meets deadlines and can handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Highly accurate, detail-oriented and organized; focuses on follow-up.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Dependable with a strong work ethic; respects and meets deadlines on time.
- Some weekends, evenings and holidays are required; flexibility in hours is necessary.
Interested candidates should email their resume and letter of interest to email@example.com.