Employment at The Rockwell
The Rockwell Museum maintains a unique work environment in the beautifully restored Old City Hall Building in downtown Corning in New York’s Finger Lakes Region. Nestled in scenic upstate New York, Corning is a vibrant community with an attractive, historical downtown and home to Corning Incorporated—one of the world’s leading innovators in glass and materials science and world-renowned Corning Museum of Glass.
Our small staff is a committed, creative, energetic team that continually embraces diversity of thought and backgrounds. We are passionate about advancing our work and our commitment to the community. We offer full- and part-time positions with excellent benefits. The Rockwell Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Excellence—We are leaders in all we do.
- Innovation and Creativity—We design dynamic and imaginative programs.
- Our People—Through the full involvement of our people, we achieve excellence, innovation, and creativity.
Director of Finance and Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Monitors and controls all financial activities of The Rockwell Museum. Meets all internal and external customer requirements and ensures that all activities within the accounting office are in compliance with all appropriate control procedures and requirements. Works closely with other departments to monitor expenses. Supervises the activities of the accounting office to ensure that timely financial data is available and sound decisions are made.
Oversees contributed services for day-to-day operations of the Museum as well as capital improvements related to building and grounds. Provides budgetary updates for cash and contributed services.
Manages insurance policies for collections and operations in conjunction with Risk Management group.
Serves as Museum liaison for Information Technology services provided by outside vendors. Plans and coordinates upgrades to hardware and software as required.
Assists the Operations Manager with day-to-day operations in collaboration with outside vendors to ensure the care and safety of the collections and the building. Assists the Retail and Guest Services Manager with the operation of the Museum Store and guest services.
Finance and Accounting
- Closes the books on a monthly basis; prepares and posts journal vouchers; reconciles accounts and reviews monthly spending activity with Executive Director and department heads.
- Monitors daily cash receipts and cash disbursements.
- Verifies preparation of tax returns and payment of taxes, including sales tax and excise tax. Ensures that quarterly sales and excise tax payments are made in a timely fashion.
- Supervises and/or performs all other accounting activities: accounts payable and receivable, bank reconciliations, inventory, capitalization of fixed assets, month-end closing journal entries, etc.
- Monitors cash and contributed services.
- Manages all operating funds, providing timely and accurate financial statements to Museum management and the Board of Trustees. Serves as liaison to Vanguard for investments.
- Prepares annual operating budget, providing detailed reports to department heads and management, summaries for Museum Treasurer and Museum Board of Trustees. Prepares mid-year forecast.
- Coordinates annual audit with outside auditors.
- Maintains knowledge of all accounting principles including FASB requirements relevant to not-for-profit accounting, implementing new procedures as required.
- Assists in preparing final financial reports for grants.
- Prepares government filings such as the Department of Labor monthly statistics and the NYS and federal tax returns.
- Ensures continuous improvement to all accounting system activities.
- Partners with the Accounting and HR departments of The Corning Museum of Glass regarding payroll, benefits and other shared services.
Operations and Risk Management
- Serves as liaison to risk management department.
- Ensures that the Rockwell Museum is in compliance with all safety regulations and makes recommendations to mitigate potential risk as appropriate.
- Works closely with outside Information Technology vendors, ensures that hardware and software programs are up to date and makes recommendations as appropriate.
- Serves as liaison for building and operations matters; develops short-term and long-term plans for building, office and retail upgrades and maintenance.
- Participates in monthly open to buy reviews with the Retail and Guest Services Manager related to the Museum Store.
- Provides statistics for museum affiliations such as NYSCA and AAM.
- Recruits, supervises and coaches Finance and Operations team members.
- Supports and amplifies the Museum’s commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Respect and exemplify the values of The Rockwell Museum in all interactions with colleagues, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Ability to represent the Museum in a professional manner.
- Adhere to all prescribed organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Appreciate cultural environments; interest in the arts and museums.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to handle high stress situations in a calm manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; strong collaboration skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or similar field.
- Minimum five years’ experience in a mid to high-level accounting position, preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Experience with general administration and operations, including risk management compliance, insurances, information technology and vendor negotiations.
- Experience working with boards of directors desired.
- Outstanding leadership skills; demonstrated supervisory and management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills; works effectively and professionally with people at all levels, including external stakeholders.
- Successfully handles multiple projects and tasks; resourceful mindset and flexible.
- Attention to detail and effectively multitasks in a deadline-driven atmosphere.
- Analytical skills; draws meaningful conclusions and recommendations based on qualitative and quantitative data.
- Thinks strategically and develops long-term strategy and goals.
- Excellent presentation skills and proficiency in speaking in front of diverse groups.
- Demonstrated experience in budget administration.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Some weekends and/or evenings required; flexibility in hours necessary.
Please send your resume and cover letter to our Executive Liaison and Financial Manager Sherry Kirk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guest Services Associate | The Rockwell Museum and KIDS ROCKWELL Art Lab
Location: The Rockwell Museum and KIDS ROCKWELL Art Lab
- Are experienced in retail
- Have strong personal communication skills
- Are detail oriented
- Consider yourself outgoing
- Are a fan of art
- Enjoy working with children and families
- A world-class museum environment with a supportive team
- Free access to museum events and programs
- Discount in the Museum Store
Who we’re looking for
The Rockwell Museum and KIDS ROCKWELL Art Lab serve not just our local community but travelers from all over the world whose experience begins and ends with Guest Services. We are looking for someone who will strive to create a positive and engaging experience for our guests from beginning to end. This includes checking visitors into the museum and the art lab. Offering them information about our collections and programs, answering questions about the museum and the art lab and surrounding community, and assisting shoppers in The Museum Store. Our ideal candidate is personable, confident, considerate, patient, outgoing, communicative, reliable, and honest. A flexible work schedule, knowledge of computers and technology, and customer service experience is desirable. Experience with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop is a plus but not a requirement.
Who we are
Our diverse, unique collection, gifted by Bob and Hertha Rockwell, serves as the base of our work, and provides inspiration for our innovative programs. Our mission is to use our collection to stimulate and engage our visitors, both within the Museum and within the greater Corning community. Our small staff is a committed, creative, energetic team that continually embraces diversity of thought and backgrounds. We are passionate about advancing our work and our commitment to the community.
Please send your resume and cover letter to our Retail and Guest Services Manager Rita Reed at email@example.com.