Employment at The Rockwell
The Rockwell Museum maintains a unique work environment in the beautifully restored Old City Hall Building in downtown Corning in New York’s Finger Lakes Region. Nestled in scenic upstate New York, Corning is a vibrant community with an attractive, historical downtown and home to Corning Incorporated—one of the world’s leading innovators in glass and materials science and world-renowned Corning Museum of Glass.
Our small staff is a committed, creative, energetic team that continually embraces diversity of thought and backgrounds. We are passionate about advancing our work and our commitment to the community. We offer full- and part-time positions with excellent benefits. The Rockwell Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Excellence—We are leaders in all we do.
- Innovation and Creativity—We design dynamic and imaginative programs.
- Our People—Through the full involvement of our people, we achieve excellence, innovation, and creativity.
Retail and Guest Services Assistant Manager
Status: M&P, Full-Time
Reports to: Retail and Guest Services Manager
Supports the Retail and Guest Services Manager by performing sales trends analysis and assisting with buying strategies. Performs various accounting functions such as the verification and validation of daily sales and related tendered amounts from the Point of Sales (POS) system. Prepares purchase orders, controls inventory processing, performs cycle counting and year-end inventory counts and provides inventory reporting. Coordinates cash, banking and other financially related procedures with the Guest Services department. Assists with ensuring updated, accurate and complete policies and procedures and records retention adherence. Supervises contracted guest services staff.
- Assists Retail and Guest Services Manager with adhering to the buying plan for purchasing, markdowns and cycle counting.
- Assists in developing strategies to meet sales and purchasing goals while maintaining appropriate sales, margin and budget.
- Assists with researching new products and developing merchandise lines that will reflect the mission of the Museum.
- Attends gift shows and/or Museum Store Association conferences if necessary to find new vendors and gain further knowledge of trends in the field.
- Assists with determining adequate stock levels and balanced assortment of merchandise.
- Maintains merchandise displays and collaborates with the Guest Services Liaison, and Retail and Guest Services Manager with floor moves.
- Buys merchandise and supplies as needed by preparing purchase orders. Obtains W-9 information from vendors. Receives inventory in POS, submits invoice and receiver for payment and prepares and applies retail tags for all merchandise as received. Ensures that there is accurate labeling on all merchandise in the shop.
- Compiles and creates inventory reports to track retail sales, markups, markdowns and inventory orders and receipts to provide monthly input for the sales and inventory forecast and open to buy analysis.
- Develops, documents, maintains and monitors inventory processes to ensure the integrity of inventory records.
- Performs cycle counts to maintain the accuracy/integrity of inventory levels in the POS system for onsite and offsite storage locations.
- Responsible for performing an annual physical inventory of store merchandise to include all offsite locations.
- Identifies, researches the root cause and resolves inventory adjustments from cycle counting, inventory transfer discrepancies, damaged merchandise, slow-moving or excess inventory and discusses results with the Director of Finance and Operations. Records these adjustments in POS.
- Prepares the cost of goods sold and inventory adjustments journal entry for the financial system month-end close.
- Oversees markdowns for all merchandise that is considered slow-moving under the direction of the Retail and Guest Services Manager.
- Assists with developing components of the annual retail budget as needed. Assists with executing the budget plan.
- Trains and assists Guest Services staff with POS system processes, procedures and customer service.
- Coordinate CRM and ticketing procedures.
- Maintains operating cash to open and close all cash drawers in Guest Services.
- Coordinates the end-of-day cash procedures with Guest Services staff and ensures all transactions are settled using the Museum’s cash settlement system.
- Records revenues by category and reports daily sales activity within the Daily Revenue Spreadsheet.
- Oversees and coordinates daily banking and ensures that deposits are transported to the bank on a timely basis.
- Collaborates with Guest Services Staff to facilitate POS reporting requirements and implements new tracking as required.
- Retains financial records as required to meet IRS and audit requirements.
- Enters and maintains data in the POS Manager database to ensure errorfree and accurate reporting.
- Tracks redeemed vouchers from accommodation partners for the marketing and finance departments.
- Troubleshoots POS system issues as needed, including outside of normal working hours.
- Oversees combination ticket ordering and receiving from the Corning Museum of Glass (CMoG). Tracks and reports combination ticket sales to CMoG on a monthly basis.
- Cross-trains with the Guest Services Liaison to become his or her back-up for lunch coverage, sales staffing needs and overall Guest Services staff scheduling.
- Schedules and supervises contracted Guest Services staff and is responsible for the hiring and training of new Guest Services employees.
- Assists with writing and maintaining financial operating procedures and records retention adherence.
- Assists on the sales floor in the Museum store and in Guest Services when needed especially during high visitor volume and for lunch coverage.
- Summarizes month-end retail results and obtains explanations for variances with budget. Assists the Retail and Guest Services Manager in presenting these results at staff meetings.
- Assists in the protection and control of all Museum assets against damage and theft.
- Adheres to all Museum policies and procedures including safety, housekeeping, customer services, accounting and information security.
- Supports and amplifies the Museum’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Associates degree in accounting or related field required; Bachelor’s degree desired.
- Minimum two years’ experience working with the public in a sales or retail position.
- Excellent software skills including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint; experience with a Point of Sale System; and ability to learn new software quickly including the ability to run, understand and analyze computer reports.
- Ability to analyze merchandise flow and make decisions that will resolve discrepancies.
- Ability to correctly analyze and understand sales reports.
- High degree of accuracy, organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to clearly and accurately communicate verbally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work well with people at all levels and of different cultures.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Dependable with a strong work ethic; respects and meets deadlines on time.
- Ability to represent the Museum professionally and consistently demonstrate the Museum’s values.
- Ability to be bonded, if necessary.
- Some evenings, holidays and weekends required; flexible schedule essential
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Sherry Kirk, firstname.lastname@example.org
Guest Services Associate
Location: The Rockwell Museum and KIDS ROCKWELL Art Lab
- Are a fan of art
- Have strong personal communication skills
- Have strong attention to detail
- Consider yourself outgoing
- A world-class museum environment with a supportive team
- Free access to museum events and programs
- Discount in the Museum Store
Who we’re looking for…
The Rockwell Museum and KIDS ROCKWELL Art Lab serve not just our local community but travelers from all over the world whose experience begins and ends with Guest Services. We are looking for someone who will strive to create a positive and engaging experience for our guests from beginning to end. This includes checking visitors into the museum, offering them information about our collections and programs, answering questions about the museum and surrounding community, and assisting shoppers in The Museum Store. Our ideal candidate is personable, confident, considerate, patient, outgoing, communicative, reliable, adaptive and honest. A flexible work schedule, knowledge of computers and technology, and customer service experience is desirable. Experience with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop is a plus but not a requirement.
Who we are…
Our diverse, unique collection, gifted by Bob and Hertha Rockwell, serves as the base of our work, and provides inspiration for our innovative programs. Our mission is to use our collection to stimulate and engage our visitors, both within the Museum and within the greater Corning community. Our small staff is a committed, creative, energetic team that continually embraces diversity of thought and backgrounds. We are passionate about advancing our work and our commitment to the community.
Did we describe you?
We’d love to meet you! Please send your resume and cover letter to our Retail and Guest Services Manager Rita Reed at email@example.com.